Recipe originally posted on Food and Wine.
- 3 1/2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 small green papaya (about 1 1/2 pounds)—peeled, seeded and coarsely shredded
- 2 carrots, coarsely shredded
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint
- Six 9-inch round rice paper wrappers, plus more in case they tear
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed
- Kosher salt
- 18 shelled cooked large shrimp (about 1/2 pound), halved lengthwise
In a large bowl, mix 3 tablespoons of the fish sauce with 3 tablespoons of the lime juice and the sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the papaya, carrots, cilantro and mint and toss to combine.
Fill a large bowl halfway with cold water. One at a time, submerge the rice paper wrappers in the water and let soak together for 5 minutes, or until pliable.