Recipe originally posted on The Clever Carrot
For the Salad:
- 1 bunch of Chioggia beets
- 2 medium size apples
- 1 handful of mixed salad leaves
- ⅓ c. fresh basil
- zest of 1 lime
For the Dressing:
- ½ c. goat cheese
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. honey
- For the dressing: Zest your lime and reserve it for the salad.
- Blitz all of the salad dressing ingredients in a mini food processor (you can also do this by hand with a whisk and room temperature goat cheese).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. The flavor should be tangy with a hint of sweetness.
- For the salad: Get yourself a large bowl.
- Trim and peel your beets with a vegetable peeler. If the tops look good, wash them and save for stir frys and salads. Thinly slice with a mandolin.
- Thinly slice your apples and keep them stacked. Cut vertically into matchsticks.
- Add the beets and apples to the bowl. Add a little dressing and season with salt and pepper. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so to soften.
- Tear up the basil leaves.
- Add the basil and salad leaves to the bowl. Give it a good toss and taste to see if it needs more seasoning or dressing.
- Evenly sprinkle the lime zest on top.
- Serve straight away.