Recipe originally posted on RecipeRunner.com.
- 5-6 medium to large-sized beets, I used red, golden and Chioggia beets
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup shelled unsalted or salted pistachios
- Olive oil, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper for roasting and finishing the salad
- 2 tablespoons white or golden balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Peel the beets with a vegetable peeler and cut them into wedges.
- Place the beets on the prepared baking sheet, drizzle them with olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat them.
- If you are using a variety of different beets keep them separated so they don't bleed onto each other.
- Spread the beets in a single layer then roast them for approximately 25-30 minutes or until tender, shaking the tray and tossing them around a couple of time to ensure even cooking.
- Remove from the oven and let cool while you make the vinaigrette.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a medium-sized bowl.
- Place the beets in the vinaigrette and toss until coated.
- If you are using a variety of beets start with the lightest colored ones first or divide the vinaigrette into separate bowls as the beet juices will dye the vinaigrette.
- Arrange the beets on a serving platter or in a bowl and top with crumbled goat cheese, pistachios, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve immediately.
If you plan to make the salad ahead of time, marinate the beets in separate bowls with the vinaigrette and assemble the salad just before serving to ensure that the pistachios stay crunchy and the beet juices don't bleed onto each other or the goat cheese.