- 10 oz. Pork loin (or boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
- 14 oz. Daikon
- 14 oz. Hyotan (Long squash)
- 6 oz. Carrot
- 10-12 ea. Shiitake mushrooms, fresh
- 2 stalks Green onion
- 1 tbsp. Canola or vegetable Oil
- 2 ½ tbsp. Sake
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 3 cups Dashi Stock
1. Cut daikon, carrots, squash into bite sized pieces.
2. Cut off stems of fresh shiitake mushroom, cut in half if large.
3. Cut pork into 1/4 inch strips.
4. Heat pan to medium heat, with oil.
5. Add pork to pan, and cook until browned.
6. Add carrots, hyotan (long squash), and daikon. Sauté until half done, (about 3 -4 min) then add in mushrooms.
7. Add dashi stock, bring mixture to a boil. Skim off scum.
8. Add sake, salt, and shoyu and let mixture simmer on medium heat. Cover mix while simmering.
9. Test doneness after 10-15 minutes by inserting a chopstick through the largest piece of daikon or squash.
Kapiʻolani Community College Culinary Arts Program. Cooking Up A Rainbow. The Hawaii 5210 Edition 1.0.