“Adapted from “A DASH of Aloha”
- 2 pieces Sweet potatoes, Molokaʻi
- 2 pieces Potatoes, Yukon gold*
- 1 tsp. Mustard
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. Prepared horseradish
- 1/3 cup Cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- Potato cooking water, as needed
1. Cook potatoes.
2. Mash all-together with rest of ingredients using the cooking water to desired consistency.
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Onion, Maui
- 2 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup Carrot, chopped
- 1 cup Corn, fresh (remove from the cob)
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms, fresh, sliced
- 1 cup Ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 tsp. Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- 1 cup Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Chicken or vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1 tsp. Worchestershire
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1tbsp. Flour
- 2 tbsp. Water
1. Heat oil in a large skillet.
2. Sauté onions, celery, carrot for about 5 minutes or until they begin to soften.
3. Add in the garlic, corn, mushrooms and sauté a few minutes more.
4. Add in the soy “beef,” oregano and paprika; cook two minutes.
5. Mix flour and water to make a slurry. Add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, worchestershire, salt, pepper and slurry. Cook until the sauce thickens.
6. Pour into a prepared 9” pie plate or 8" x 8” baking dish and top with mashed potato mixture.
7. Bake at 350° for about 25 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
*Substitutions: White potato can be used instead of Yukon gold.
Kapiʻolani Community College Culinary Arts Program. Cooking Up A Rainbow. The Hawaii 5210 Edition 1.0.