- 1 Large very ripe mango (out of season, substitute peaches, pear, plums, pitted cherries)
- 1 c. Low fat milk
- 2 T. Sugar
- ¼ c. Blanched or slivered almonds
- ¼ tsp. Almond extract
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ tsp. Pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch salt
- 2 T. Flour
- Optional: Raspberries or other fruit for garnish
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. In a blender, combine1/4 c. milk with sugar and almonds. Puree until fairly smooth (about 3-4 minutes).
2. Add remaining milk, extract, egg, spice, salt and flour. Blend till smooth (about 2 minutes). Let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Spray a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray.
4. Arrange mango on bottom. Pour batter over and add raspberries if desired.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish as desired.
• Fresh seasonal fruit is the star of this classic French dessert somewhere between a pancake and custard.
• Whole almonds add richness usually supplied by butter or cream.
• Blanching almonds is easy and inexpensive. Boil water, add almonds and let sit for about 5 minutes.
• The brown skin (which has some bitterness) will easily peel off (just squeeze one end between thumb and forefinger).
• You can blanch, dry and freeze almonds for later use.
Kapiʻolani Community College Culinary Arts Program. Cooking Up A Rainbow. The Hawaii 5210 Edition 1.0.