- 3 T. Olive oil
- 4 Fresh tomatoes, cored & diced
- 1 lb. Fresh green beans, 1-in.slices
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 cups Baby spinach, washed
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 3 Zucchini squash, quartered & sliced
- 2 cups Celery, chopped
- 5 Carrots, sliced
- 1 Tbsp Fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Fresh basil, chopped
- 4 cups Broth (or water)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup Small pasta: sea shell, ditalini, or orzo
- 1 lb. can White (canellini), or red kidney beans rinsed and drained
1. Heat a large stock pot over medium-low heat; add olive oil and sauté garlic and onions for 2 minutes.
2. Add celery and carrots and continue to cook for 6 minutes.
3. Pour in broth, tomato sauce and chopped tomatoes.
4. Bring to a boil stirring frequently.
5. If desired, add ½ cup wine.
6. Reduce heat to low and add kidney beans, green beans, spinach, zucchini, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes.
7. Prepare pasta according to box directions. Drain well and set aside.
8. Once pasta is cooked and soup is heated through, add fresh herbs and lemon juice. Taste for seasonings.
9. Place 2 tablespoons of cooked pasta into each soup bowl and ladle soup on top.
10. Garnish with additional chopped herbs and sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese if desired.
Kapiʻolani Community College Culinary Arts Program. Cooking Up A Rainbow. The Hawaii 5210 Edition 1.0.