Adapted from “A DASH of Aloha”
- 2 lb. Hyotan squash
- 1/2 cup Ground turkey or chicken breast (4 oz.) packed
- 2 tbsp. Onion, minced (about 1 oz)
- 2 tbsp. Pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 cup Bread crumbs, Italian style
- 2 Egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1/4 tsp. Red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil, extra virgin
- 4 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- Pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped herbs (parsley, oregano, thyme, basil)
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 can Tomatoes, diced, including juices
1. Pre-heat oven to 350° and boil a large pot of water.
2. Peel squash using a vegetable peeler, discard stem and end pieces.
3. Cut squash into 4 even cylinder size pieces, use a spoon to remove cores and seeds.
4. Boil squash pieces for 3 to 4 minutes to par-cook, and drain well.
5. Combine next 7 ingredients (turkey through ricotta cheese), mix well to combine.
6. Fill centers of squash pieces with turkey mixture.
7. In an oven proof pan, add garlic, tomatoes, red pepper and olive oil.
8. Place squash in pan, top each piece with 1 tbsp. parmesan cheese.
9. Bake approximately 45 to 60 minutes, or until squash is tender but still firm.
10. Sprinkle with fresh herbs before serving with rice or pasta.
Tip: Broil top if cheese does not brown, or if browning too much, cover lightly with aluminum foil.
Kapiʻolani Community College Culinary Arts Program. Cooking Up A Rainbow. The Hawaii 5210 Edition 1.0.