- 3 cup Brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 Carrot (large), julienne or grated on a large box grater
- 3-4 Long beans (or green beans, snow peas), cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 Baby bok choy, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup Shelled edamame (thawed)
- 2 stalks Green onion, chopped (save some for garnish)
- ¼ cup Curry powder
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 3 tbsp Canola, vegetable, or olive oil
- 1-2 cups Water
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Sesame Seeds, toasted (Optional)
1. Cook brown rice (best the day before and store in the refrigerator overnight).
a. Rinse rice in water 2-3 times and strain,
b. Add 3 ½ cups of water to 3 cups of brown rice to cook in a rice cooker. (Use 1 ½ cups of water for every cup of brown rice).
2. Chop all vegetables.
3. Heat frying pan until it is hot (medium-medium high heat), add vegetable oil.
4. Add minced garlic, sauté till softened, then stir in curry powder, (do not cook curry powder for long) then add carrots, long beans, baby bok choy and edamame. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until vegetables start to get tender.
5. Add cooked rice (loosen it up first if it is cooked the day before), and stir fry for an additional 3-5 minutes until everything is warmed through and coated in curry seasoning. Add water for moisture if too dry.
6. Add sesame oil to flavor. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Right before serving, add chopped green onions and mix thoroughly to combine.
8. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
Notes on Healthy Fried Rice:
• Sautéing the vegetables first develops flavor and moisture.
• The amount of oil needed to sauté the vegetables is limited.
• Dried spices have to be cooked in dry heat (dry roasting on a pan or in oil) to fully develop flavors, which in turn reduce the need for salt.
• When cooked rice is mixed with liquid (water, oil), the grains of rice separate, and has the texture and mouth-feel of fried rice. The moisture from the sautéd vegetables serves the same purpose.
Kapiʻolani Community College Culinary Arts Program. Cooking Up A Rainbow. The Hawaii 5210 Edition 1.0.