- 2 tsp. Oil, vegetable
- 4 oz. Hamakua mushrooms, sliced
- 2 pieces Shallot, minced
- 8 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. Ginger, grated
- 2 pieces Jalapeño peppers, minced
- ¼ cup Sake
- 1 cup Chicken broth, or Dashi (Japanese stock – See Dashi Recipe)
- 1 piece Lemongrass stem (lower one third)
- 2 piece Kaffir lime leaves
- 4 tsp. Soy sauce
- 2 pieces Carrots, sliced
- 1 lb. Broccoli florets
- 1 cup Milk, low fat
- 2 tsp. Cornstarch
- ¼ cup Coconut milk
- Fresh chopped Thai basil, cilantro and lime juice to garnish
1. Brown mushrooms in oil.
2. Add shallot, garlic, ginger and peppers.
3. Add sake, cook for 1 minute.
4. Add stock, lemongrass and lime leaves.
5. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook, covered for 10 minutes.
6. Add soy sauce, carrots and broccoli. Cover and steam for 5 minutes.
7. Combine some of the milk with the cornstarch to make a slurry. Add the rest of the milk to the pot.
8. Add cornstarch/milk slurry. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
9. Stir in coconut milk and herbs. Squeeze lime juice to taste.
10. Serve over brown rice.
Kapiʻolani Community College Culinary Arts Program. Cooking Up A Rainbow. The Hawaii 5210 Edition 1.0.