Recipe originally posted on Food and Wine.
- 1 quart mushroom broth
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Fine sea salt
- 3/4 pound Tuscan kale, stemmed, leaves chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 cups sweet brown rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- In a saucepan, mix the mushroom and vegetable broths and bring to a simmer; keep warm.
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to the casserole. Add the kale and cook over moderate heat until wilted, 3 minutes. Add the kale to the mushrooms.
- In the casserole, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir until coated with oil and lightly toasted, 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until evaporated. Add 2 cups of the hot broth, cover partially and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the broth has been absorbed, 10 minutes. Repeat with another 2 cups of broth.
- Add 3 cups of the broth, 1 cup at a time, and cook, stirring often, until it is mostly absorbed between additions, about 15 minutes total. Add the last cup of broth, the mushrooms, kale, thyme, 1/3 cup of cheese and the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Cook, stirring, until the risotto is creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil and serve with cheese.